I’ve learned a lot the past couple months. I’ve learned more than I could fit into this post; And I’ve learned probably more than you have time to read through. I wish that everyone could live what I lived through the past couple of months and see how insanely beautiful the things I’ve seen are. How amazing the people I’ve met are. How much growth I’ve had since I left. I could go on all day about the “if only you could see it for yourself”s; But since you’re not here to see it, I’d like to share a few highlights for you to get a bit of an idea of what my solo travel has consisted of and I hope it motivates you to start your solo travel – wherever that may lead to.
The places I’ve been… the things I’ve seen…
- The sunsets – sunsets that literally took my breath away. Sunsets that gave me closure. Sunsets that reminded me of home. Sunsets that made me feel overwhelmingly thankful to be alive.
- The ocean, the waves, the sea-life – much of which I didn’t know existed. The bluest water and the most incredible waves. Turtles and shells and dolphins and whales.
- The Jungle – which is millions of times more beautiful than I expected it to be; Filled with flowers and the greenest trees and plants you’ll possibly ever see.
- The beaches – beaches that were nearly empty and absolutely stunning. Beaches that weren’t corrupted by people and tourism. Beaches more gorgeous than any other beach you’ve been to.
The people I’ve met…
- People that made me understand what selfless, passionate love looked like.
- People that showed me what true kindness, generosity, and support looked like.
- People that took me under their wings and showed me what life looked like through their eyes.
- People that helped me be brave, shared life with me, and showed me friendship in the purest form.
The things I’ve learned…
- I’ve learned that life is more than shitty jobs and money and wealth. Life is more than a long procrastination of the things that make you happy and fulfill your spirit.
- I’ve learned that what will be will be whether you love it, fear it, or desperately want it. Life will happen – it always will. Everything happens for a reason and good things will always come after the most painful experiences of your life. Flowers will bloom in the deepest cracks of your soul and eventually you will heal.
- I’ve learned that life is short and life is precious. What you want – whatever it is – go get it. Go travel. Go experience life in a different place. Quit your shitty job. Go be happy.
- I’ve learned that hard work pays off. Stop blowing your money on stupid shit. Stop buying coffee every day of your life and put $5 in your savings every day instead and put it towards a ticket.
- I’ve learned what it means to be happy. I’ve learned that happiness is simplicity. It’s enjoying the sunset with your best friend and your favorite glass of wine. It’s walking down the street and having a stranger smile at you and being reminded that you’re both in this life together. Happiness starts with an open heart and gratitude. Happiness is the result of surrounding yourself with good energy and leaving the negative energy behind you.
- I’ve learned that there are far more beautiful things ahead of us than anything behind us. If there’s one thing that my solo travel has taught me it’s this: Everything I’ve seen and learned and experienced here has taught me that there is so much out there that we don’t even know about. The best part of your life probably hasn’t even happened yet. The most beautiful thing you’ll ever see you probably haven’t seen yet. You probably haven’t met your best friend yet. You probably haven’t had the best day of your life yet and that’s because life just keeps getting better.
So if you want to go – go. Go live. Be open-minded. Open your heart. Let yourself heal and grow and thrive. Know that life begins as soon as you drop your fear and know that life just keeps getting better.